Monday, November 5, 2012

Spicing up a Simple Breakfast

I'm back home after a lovely weekend to speak at the Three Days of Light Festival near Asheville, North Carolina. While the vegan fare was surprisingly delicious, it's nice to have some comfort food at home and this morning it's scrambled eggs.

I love the eggs from Smucker Farms, a shop around the corner from me that sells locally produced goods. They're extremely rich with yolks of such a vibrant yellow, that you know they're super fresh and eat a healthy diet.

Instead of ketchup, I actually use Sriracha or a typical Chinese chili oil, but forgot I ran out before I left town. I still wanted to spice the eggs up a bit and just remembered I was sent a variety of sauces, oils and marinades from Chef Lala, including a chipotle-flavored oil, which I thought might be perfect to use to cook the eggs in. The oil was really fragrant, and added a nice subtle flavor to the eggs. And one advantage to cooking the eggs in a chili oil is it avoids adding extra calories like I would if topping with the Chinese chili oil. And, as I usually do, I sprinkled some of Tuscan Herb Chef Salt which was part of the gift bag from Eat, Write, Retreat.


I've tried making my own chili oil after spending some time in Monaco where it's is a typical condiment for pizza. Forget ranch dressing! I wish I had the foresight to grab some good bottles for the trip home, or at least find a good method for infusing all the spices and herbs. Alas, this chipotle oil may be the next best thing. Perhaps even for lunch. 

1 comment:

Diane Dimayuga said...

That's very simple but it looks great! I can have that everyday.

For me, I always use olive oil with eggs, top it up with freshly baked bread.