Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 Memories/Dreams/Discoveries for 2010

As 2010 draws to a close, I'm taking a look back at some of the year's great experiences, a few lessons learned and a few changes in life.
  1. Service work with indigenous Mayan people (January) - a long-time dream of mine that I hope to expand in the future.
  2.  
    Tulum, Mexico
  3. The cross-(2)country drive from Washington state to Washington, DC (August) - Special shout-outs to Wyoming, South Dakota and Alberta. I'll be back.
       
  4. My high school reunion (October) - 20 friggin years!!!!!!!! I had such a wonderful time, not only that evening, but getting to collaborate with two amazing women whom I didn't really know back then, and am glad to know now. Getting to see my old best friends and the after-party at Denny's, also highlights.
       
  5. Moving to DC (April/May) - While the process was as painful as could be (physically, mentally, emotionally and especially financially), I made the decision last November while working here that whatever it took, I was going to move in 2010. Gratitude to Bill & Melinda for the job and JS for the home. Of course, thank you to the very dear friends I have here, this place would be nowhere near as wonderful without you.
       
  6. I really do love New York (September) - A couple of magical weekends that included The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, UN General Assembly, Clinton Global Initiative, Climate Week and one of the most best parties I've been to in a long time courtesy of Kimpton Hotels and the Eventi Hotel. Another reason why I love New York? It's an easy and cheap bus ride (or a super-fun drive with a friend). 
       
  7. Racquel's College Graduation (June) - I'm so proud of my little sister (and brother who graduated last year). It was a great reason to venture to Southern California and see my family. Even prouder she's now studying at one of the top graduate schools in the country. Added bonus: she's just a couple of hours by plane, so I look forward to a few flights between the two of us.
  8. 
  9. Waking up the artist within (all year) - I'm finally writing more, got to "act" in my first indie, explored photography enough to get a piece of work displayed, and interior decorating (still a work in progress).
  10.        
  11. Mis nuevos amigos (March) - Definitely one of my biggest highlights of the year was getting to Los Amigos Invisibles show at the Black Cat in DC, and even hang out backstage for a bit.
       
  12.    
  13. An evening Avec Eric (May) - Hanging out with Eric Ripert, the sexiest man in the culinary world. 
       
  14. Ta-ta to T-Grrr (September) - The most bittersweet of all, I had to bid farewell to my most beloved and devoted companion of the past 11.5 years. I'm so grateful for the time we had together and that I could be with him when he made the transition.
T-Grrr and my sister, Racquel
 

At the End of the Year

The particular mind of the ocean
Filling the coastline's longing
With such brief harvest
Of elegant, vanishing waves
Is like the mind of time
Opening us shapes of days.

As this year draws to its end,
We give thanks for the gifts it brought
And how they became inlaid within
Where neither time nor tide can touch them.

The days when the veil lifted
And the soul could see delight;
When a quiver caressed the heart
In the sheer exuberance of being here.

Surprises that came awake
In forgotten corners of old fields
Where expectation seemed to have quenched.

The slow, brooding times
When all was awkward
And the wave in the mind
Pierced every sore with salt.

The darkened days that stopped
The confidence of the dawn.

Days when beloved faced shone brighter
With light from beyond themselves;
And from the granite of some secret sorrow
A stream of buried tears loosened.

We bless this year for all we learned,
For all we loved and lost
And for the quiet way it brought us
Nearer to our invisible destination.

~ John O'Donohue

No comments: